Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Day 15 – Bikini Body Boot Camp

You can't eat the fettuccini if you want to wear the bikini!

7/12/10 - Unfortunately, I've learned the hard way that at almost 49 years old, I cannot eat huge bowls of fettuccini if I want to wear a bikini. My body seems to take starchy carbs and turn them right into fat. I've also learned that I personally don't feel well when I eat grains. The heaviest and the worse I've ever felt in my life was in my 30's while I was trying to eat "healthy" and following the new low fat, whole grains, no red meat diet. I put on weight like crazy during this period and I had so little energy that I could barely drag myself out of bed in the morning, let alone make it through the day feeling good. I went through each day counting down the hours until I could crawl back into bed at night.

Eventually, I was so frustrated with the way my body was beginning to look and feel, I started walking and after a few weeks I started feeling a bit better. Then I joined a yoga class and I felt even better. Then I started taking a martial arts class with my 6 year old son. After a couple years of taking martial arts and getting my black belt I felt like a new women (martial arts is very empowering)! I was down around 10 pounds and my energy was better but I still had trouble getting through the afternoon without feeling the need for a nap.

Around this time my martial arts instructor asked me if I would be interested in teaching a kickboxing class at the studio. This was in 2001 and Billy Blanks and Ti Bo where all the rage. I said yes, I went and got trained and certified and started my journey as a fitness professional. After about a year and half of teaching kickboxing I realized that I wanted to know more about fitness and I wanted to be able to help women on a more personal level so I went and got my Personal Training Certification.

I have been voraciously taking in information in all manners and forms, ever since I became a PT, looking for ways to help people and myself, get the results we want and deserve. Because of my quest for more knowledge I eventually stumbled on Dr. Mercola, MD and his natural health website. From Dr. Mercola I learned about the three different things that have become the cornerstones of how I teach and live wellness. Nutritional Typing – eating according to your body's own special bio-chemistry; Exertion/Recovery Cycles – exercising in short burst of exertion followed by recovery to boost metabolism, fat burning and health; and EFT Emotional Freedom Technique – a gentle acupressure tapping technique for relieving emotional traumas, stress, pain and helping to change beliefs. I have found by incorporating these three things together it is possible to easily create the slim, vibrant, healthy body that all of us desire and deserve to have!

7:30 am – I woke-up so late this morning – I can't believe it! It's left me feeling so disoriented! Coffee, water, while I speed write, read and do EFT tapping

8:15 am – Pea protein shake w/coconut milk, flax, stevia and blueberries

9:00 am – Teach BBB Camp class (1 hour)

11:30 am - sliced tomatoes, tomato and cucumber salad, ham and cheese roll-ups, romaine, lettuce, handful of almond, handful of cherries

2:00 pm – salad of baby greens, lamb, onions, feta cheese, mushrooms

7:00 pm – dinner out – chicken marsala w/mushrooms, spinach, cheese, asparagus, small tossed salad w/balsamic dressing (came with a huge order of fettuccini which I brought home to my teenage son – he has no problems with eating it!)

No comments:

Post a Comment